Creative Lead, LEARNStyle, Inc; Toronto Ont – 2012–Present
Responsible for the company’s graphics and design, as well as organizing and running conferences for the forward-facing part of the company. Responsibilities include:
• Re-branding the company through new design, layout and production of all web and print material, including the company’s primary website, brochures, handouts, and business cards.
• Writing, designing, animating and voicing instructional videos for the company website.
• Maintaining social media outlets, which include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest
• Organizing and representing the company through public speaking and conferences. Speaking/educational engagements include Google Apps for Education and the Ontario Library Conference.
• Promoting literacy and education in the media.
Assistive Technology Consultant, LEARNStyle, Inc. Toronto Ont – 2012–Present
Responsible for working directly with teachers and students with Learning Disabilities to support them through assistive/adaptive technologies. Responsibilities include:
• Communicating effectively, using tact and discretion, with a wide variety of individuals, which include: students, staff, internal and external stakeholders and vendors.
• Building and maintaining relationships with teachers, school boards, charities, professional organizations and groups.
• Training teachers and students with Learning Disabilities how to learn more effectively and efficiently through the use of assistive/adaptive technology software, including: WordQ, SpeakQ, Kurzweil 3000, Smart Ideas, Dragon Naturally Speaking, and Read and Write Gold
• Providing leadership and expertise with respect to the latest available assistive technologies and programs, on hardware such as laptops, smart boards, iPads and other tablets
• Using analytical reasoning and problem solving techniques to determine appropriate assistive technology resources required, and to adjust or respond to situations encountered
• Adapt and coordinate assistive technology courses and demonstrate various assistive technology programs for students, staff and families
• Assist with developing and implementing individualized assistive technology plans and programs for students by reviewing and assessing individual student needs, and then working collaboratively with the school to implement that plan
News Graphics Freelancer, CTV; Scarborough, ON – 2011-2012
Layout and design of over-the-shoulder news graphics for CTV National News for on-air use. Responsibilities include:
• Interpreting the vision of the director and producers in order to generate over-the-shoulder graphics for on-air use
• Sourcing and editing photos for on-air use
• Designing animated maps for on-air use
• Producing graphs and charts for on-air use
Freelance Writer/Cartoonist; Toronto-ON – 2009 - present
Graphic Novel: Toronto to Tuscany, published 2012
Graphic Novel: Mirror Mind: Growing Up With Dyslexia, published 2009
Short Story: “Ford Prefect: Perfect in Every Way,” for Open Book Toronto, published 2011
Short Story: “So Much More,” for the Reading with Pictures anthology, published 2010
Audio Drama: Awake, for Chromatic Press, aired online 2013
University of Toronto, Faculty of Art and Science
2001 - 2007: Bachelor of Arts in Archaeology
George Brown College, Toronto ON
2008 - 2010: Continuing Education (Adobe Creative Suite)
2010 S.P.A.C.E. Award winner
Best Comic, Mirror Mind
2010, The Lulu Award nominee
Lulu of the Year, Leah Adezio Award for Best Kid-Friendly Work, and Kim Yale Award for Most Talented Newcomer, Mirror Mind
2010, Joe Shuster Award Finalist
Gene Day Award for Emerging Artists, Mirror Mind